Our Code of Conduct
This policy was adopted from the FrontendLondon Slack community.This policy is a "living" document, and subject to refinement and expansion in the future. This policy applies to every CodeNewbie entity or event, including but not limited to the Slack community, the Twitter chats, in-person meetups, and our #MentorMonday program.
The simple version:
- be nice
- be honest
- be supportive
The CodeNewbie Community should be a safe place for everybody regardless of
- gender, gender identity or gender expression
- sexual orientation
- physical appearance (including but not limited to body size)
- anything else you can think of
As someone who is part of this community, you agree that:
- We are collectively and individually committed to safety and inclusivity.
- We have zero tolerance for abuse, harassment, or discrimination.
- We respect people’s boundaries and identities.
- We refrain from using language that can be considered oppressive (systemically or otherwise), eg. sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, classist, etc. - this includes (but is not limited to) various slurs. We avoid using offensive topics as a form of humour.
We actively work towards:
- Being a safe community
- Cultivating a network of support & encouragement for each other
- Encouraging responsible and varied forms of expression
- Stalking, doxxing, or publishing private information
- Threats of harm, harassment
- Anything that compromises people’s safety
These things are NOT OK.
If you say something that is found offensive, and you are called out on it, let’s:
- Listen without interruption.
- Believe what the person is saying & do not attempt to disqualify what they have to say.
- Ask for tips / help with avoiding making the offence in the future.
- Apologise and ask forgiveness.
Failing to follow the community guidelines as described in this document carries consequences. For minor infractions, you may be temporarily suspended from the event you are participating in. Upon repeat offenses, or if the community believes you are not acting in good faith, you may be asked to leave permanently.
If you experience abuse, harassment, discrimination, or feel unsafe, please DM Saron on Twitter (@saronyitbarek) or email us firstname.lastname@example.org.